The History of Carterville

Headlines

Caterville has adopted a City Manager form of goverment in hopes of revitalizing our community full story...

The long awaited street repairs have begun thanks to the support of our citizens full story...

The future is looking brighter for the City of Carterville's storm readiness program full story...

New water system projects will begin to roll out in 2014, promicing to greatly improve the city's infrastructure full story...

First goals set out to improve recreational opportunities have been met full story...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The City of Carterville is situated just east of and adjoining Webb City and about midway between Joplin and Carthage.  Land on which Carterville is built was originally owned by a Mr. James George Leroy Carter in the 1860’s.  His farm about two miles northeast of the town in the Center Creek bottoms was for years, and as late as the 1960’s, known as “the old Carter place”.  His father James Carter originally settled in Jasper County in 1841.  For several years Carterville was little more than a mining camp when lead ore was discovered, but began to grow and be recognized for considerable commercial importance and was once even larger than its sister city, Webb City.

Historical news articles

 

 The plat of the town was surveyed and recorded in 1875 and in 1877 the city became an incorporated town.  The rich mining ground and rapid growth of the city made this necessary. In 1882, the city was incorporated as a city of the fourth-class with elected officials.  Carterville then contained three dry goods and clothing stores, three boot and shoe stores, three drug stores, seven grocery stores, one hardware store, a barber shop, machine shop, three saloons, three blacksmiths; two livery stables, three lunch-rooms, three boarding houses, three hotels, a real estate office, two attorneys, four doctors, one newspaper, two churches, excellent schools, and three railroads with depots in or near the city limits.

school Carterville schools were always highly rated and in 1963 a new high school was built but was later the city’s elementary school when the school district was merged with Webb City in 1968.  In 1963 the city also received a new and modern U.S. Post Office under the direction of then postmaster Emmett O. Griffin.  The Landreth and Griffin families had long histories in the city with many generations growing up here.  Other family names with great histories can be found on the names of the streets in town:  Fountain, Cass, Kane, Lewis, Bulger and Daughtery, to name a few.
Today Carterville still boasts a bustling city with several small business, a telephone company, a grocery store, two gas station/mini marts, several churches, a saddle shop, “a Route 66” store, and a diner all operate in the city. The city has a highly rated volunteer fire department.  A new city hall houses a well organized city administration under the leadership of Mayor Dale Davenport. All the above gives Carterville a proud citizenship, growing population, and great heritage and history to continue into the twenty-first century.

 

center creek

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

fAbout Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | 2014 City of Carterville